Jul 15, 2010

Pre Pick-Up Rush

July 15, 2010

If you never have the chance to eat roasted carrots before you die, then you've absolutely lived an unfulfilled life.


Before my Long Meadow Farm days, I had absolutely no idea that carrots came in any color other than orange. Next thing you know, Mother Nature will start making yellow and purple Cheetos.

I pick up our share this afternoon, so when lunchtime rolled around and I still had some vegetables to finish up, I got creative. I ended up with a dang good lunch:


I stir-fired some kale, green onions, basil and squash in olive oil. Then I added breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and noodles. If you're looking for an Italianish flavor, get crazy and add some breadcrumbs to your stir fry. Way greasy. Way good.

And just so you know, you can blanch a zillion different vegetables--not just leafy greens. If you buy it frozen at the supermarket, then you can blanch it and freeze it at home. This is blanched squash about to hit the freezer:


That way I can torture my husband in the dead of winter, too.

3 comments:

  1. I blanched my butt off last weekend! Thanks to you I'll be eating spinach all winter...bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you, I've been following your CSA since you started and the stuff you're making looks DELICIOUS!!!! Can I send my family to you to get them to eat??? (they're beyond picky) Either that or I'll leave them to fend for themselves and I'll come join you!!!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete